Monday, September 5, 2016

Loaded Scrambled Eggs

I have a secret. A deep, dark secret. I. HATE. Scrambled. Eggs. Where do I start? The slimy, squishy texture? The hideous smell that pervades the house during cooking? The bland, gag-inducing taste? I'm going to go with all of the above. 20 years have I lived in fear of scrambled eggs. In fact, threatening scrambled eggs for dinner was a regular scare tactic used by my mother to motivate me to fix dinner. But the tables have turned. I have found the Holy Grail of scrambled egg recipes, the one that finally broke through my hatred and made it into my "favorite recipes" cache. To celebrate this momentous occasion, I thought it only fair to share my golden egg with you (pun intended).

 NOTE: This recipe differs only slightly from the original, which you'll find the link to below.
Originally, the recipe calls for tomatoes and crusty bread to serve it on, but I thought the tomatoes made it too watery and I served it with fresh-squeezed orange juice and turkey sausage instead of bread.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 red onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 TBSP. olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
8 large eggs, beaten
3 oz. Cheddar, grated (about 3/4 cup)
1/3 c. finely chopped flat-lead parsley leaves

Directions:
  1.  Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 12-14 minutes. 
  2. Add eggs and cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are just set, 1-2 minutes. Add the Cheddar and cook, stirring, until just melted, 1-2 minutes more.
  3.  Remove from heat, stir in parsley, and serve.
 Source: Real Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment